In favor of my critical thinking piece, I chose to pick my second timed write. For this assignment we were asked to watch a movie, Off the Map to be exact, and then at the end of the week were provided a prompt to write about. Sounds like a piece of cake, right? Well not so much for me, given that we were only allowed an hour to get our thoughts typed out, logically, that is. When writing anything, from small discussion board posts to the ever-dreaded papers, I have always need a lot of time to think about what exactly I want to say, exactly how I want to say it. I mull ideas over in my head as I’m standing at the cash register ringing up customers’ purchases, trying to focus on what the math instructor is teaching today, or just as I’m drifting off into sleep. Considering that we were able to see the prompt only when we began the write, this was a challenge for me.
This piece shows my ability to not only, think critically on a topic, but in a quick manner as well. We were asked to delve into the movie and discuss nonconformity of the characters or even settings. I felt that when I said, “He wanted to conform to that lifestyle. I think in most cases people choose not to conform because they want to be an individual or unique, not realizing that no matter how alike two people may be no two can be the exact same. William is an example of assumption three, that the individual choose communities that will accept them for who they are and not want to change them.” it showed that I was giving my opinion on the topic from personal experience. I also made and example with how it also fit in with another reading we had had on a similar subject. I hope that you enjoy my little essay and that you too might watch Off the Map to see what you have to say about it.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment