For my pick on audience awareness, I decided to use a discussion board response I had to a reading assignment. The assignment was to read the essay The Museum of Me by Ellen Ullman and evaluate her concerns. Were they relevant, accurate, or right? We were to read and respond back to some of our group members. I found that most of my group members had much of the same opinions I did, which allowed us to bounce ideas off each other.
In my post I referenced the Ullman’s name right off the bat, and a few times in between, which being read by my classmates, was completely acceptable and understood. Had the assignment been to write to someone who had not read the essay, a good summary would have been in need allowing the reader a better understanding of the background information. My classmates were able to understand what I trying to say and also agree with, question, or just provide general feedback.
In response to my post, fellow classmate, Pedro Ironwing says, “I completely agree with your point, "With all the ever expanding options of the internet who' s to say that you ever really need to leave the comfort of your own home. You can pay all your bills, work from home, have groceries delivered, further your education." I think that not only does the Internet de-socialize some, but I have also been thinking about something else during this activity and reading. It is tangential, but would you agree that not only is the Internet taking away social opportunities for some, but I also think it contributes to our over-stressed American lives.” His ideas about the subject gave me a new way to look at it as well.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Chelsi: Your title, "De-socialization at Our Fingertips," which was the intro for your piece about "Museum of Me," spoke loudly to me. It nicely summarizes your post and provides the reader with an impression of your opinion. (Thanks for sharing my comment in your intro by the way; it was nice to see that in your selection). Enjoy the break! -Peter.
Post a Comment