Friday, March 14, 2008

Oh the trees!

The authors use metaphors comparing trees, roots, and leaves to their ancestry for I think, many reasons. The roots of the tree represent the oldest, strongest parts of their ancestry and origins where as the leaves are represented by the newer generations, still connected but making their own paths. The image of a tree is so strong and wise in itself, is the image we want others to see in our own families.

I am not African
Africa waters the roots of my tree, but I cannot return.

I am not Taina.
I am late leaf of that ancient tree
My roots reach into the soils of two Americas
Taino is in me, but there is no way back. (96)

This passage uses the tree metaphor, as the daughter is the late leaf, very much apart of that tree grounded by it stretching roots, but setting a new path all its own. I also really liked the metaphors used in the lines:

The table has a cloth woven by one, dyed by another,
embroidered by still another.
I am a child of many mothers.
They have kept it all going. (96)

I think what the author is trying to say is that though the cloth had been and will be colored, changed, and challenged over the years the original fabric remains the same, the threads still hold strong. The lifestyles and outlooks of the generations will change but the connection within is still there. This metaphor, as with many of the others in the poem, relate to all people in ways unique to them.

No comments: